Lilly MSL in Seoul, South Korea
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 35,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
Purpose of the Job
Medical science liaisons are field-based medical affairs ambassadors who engage with scientific experts and others in the medical community to understand external research/clinical needs, respond to unsolicited questions, and foster a two-way scientific dialogue.
Medical science liaisons identify opportunities for research collaborations, support medical initiatives, and share unique insights based on their interactions with scientific experts and knowledge of the external medical/scientific environment to better inform Lilly’s strategic direction for research and commercialization.
By facilitating scientific dialogue between the industry and the scientific expert community, medical science liaisons have the opportunity to improve patient outcomes by providing needed information that addresses important clinical and scientific questions.
Core Job Responsibilities
Excel at customer engagement and support medical/scientific information needs of scientific experts : MSL act as the primary interface between Lilly and Scientific Experts within their defined geography, providing deep and advanced disease state and product expertise and facilitating the work of the Scientific Expert when it aligns with Lilly's mission. MSL serve as reliable, trusted resources of accurate, up-to-date medical and scientific information requested by Scientific Experts and other Health Care Professionals. They will respond in a timely way to personal or electronic inquiries with appropriate available information.
Communicate Scientific Intelligence & Clinical Insight : In an effort to fully understand external opinions, issues, and new science in the therapeutic areas in which Lilly operates, MSL gather and communicate scientific intelligence and clinical insights identified through their interactions with Scientific Experts and other Health Care Providers, their attendance at medical conferences, and through other appropriate means to better inform Lilly’s strategic direction for research and commercialization. These activities include
Identifying key scientific developments, new research methodologies, therapy trends and/or other developments in the therapeutic area
Sharing feedback from external experts including their perspectives on data and medical/scientific concepts, views of the general therapeutic area landscape, and clinical experiences
Share learning from publications, external medical conferences, and other appropriate channels internally
- Facilitation of Research Initiatives : MSL provide support for research initiatives, including
Facilitating of interactions between medical personnel and external investigators
Providing recommendations for investigators based on the researcher’s interests and qualifications
Identifying opportunities for potential external research collaborations
Facilitating aspects of the Investigator-Initiated Trial (IIT) process
On a limited basis, participating in clinical trial execution, including study development, initiation and close-out activities
- Medical Activities : While the focus of the MSL role is to support the medical/scientific information and research needs of Scientific Experts, MSL may be involved in other activities, including
Conducting training on scientific/medical information content at speaker training
Supporting Lilly meetings and events
Developing and delivering educational presentations in accordance with applicable procedures
Serving as authors for publications
Providing scientific training for sales, marketing, or other internal personnel
Brand team consultation
- Maintain and effectively communicate Scientific Expertise : MSL will maintain the highest level of knowledge regarding current disease state product (including competitor products) and investigational compound information to enable them to be scientifically credible peers of Scientific Experts. The MSL will be expected to engage in continuous learning within the therapeutic area they represent, which includes:
Utilizing appropriate resources to stay current with the scientific literature (e.g. conducting regular literature searches and library research)
Attending external national and international scientific meetings
Meeting with peer group regularly for formal shared learning
- Management of Administrative Activities : MSL will effectively use approved resources to fulfill administrative, procedural, and legal requirements associated with addressing customer requests. These activities may include:
Proficiency in computer skills and database entry
Continual compliance with all procedural requirements of the role
Appropriate utilization of available resources.
Resource management skills needed to meet the requests of customers and the needs of the business unit, while exhibiting appropriate stewardship of their time and expense budget.
• Health science related degree required
• Three or more years experience in pharmaceutical industry required
• MSL experience or relevant therapeutic area expertise preferred
• Experience in field-based environments highly valued
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills, including capability to engage in professional relationship building and networking
• Proficiency In English
• Advanced presentation skills
• Intellectual curiosity and intelligence about the field of science/medicine
• Expertise in literature identification and evaluation
• Demonstrated success in self-managing priorities and multi-tasking projects
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( LillyRecruitingCompliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.